Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream

I'm a little sad as I type this blog post. I'm about to show you a recipe that is so delicious, so ridiculously bad, and so easy that I will understand if we can't be friends anymore. Really. Because I'm the woman responsible for giving you the recipe that will destroy any shred of self control.
Sorry.
Those of you who know me will think I left out the "dough" from the title. Cookie dough is my all-time favorite ice cream. My go-to flavor. I mentioned to Gary that I was going to make cookie dough for Labor Day and he politely requested that I leave the cookie dough out of part of it because he was sick of cookie dough ice cream. (In my defense, I never make or buy cookie dough ice cream if I know it's the only flavor in the house.) So I came up with plan B, which pretty much rocked plan A out of the park.

Like I said, this is so simple. 
First, you need cookie dough. This can be your great-grandma's classic chocolate chip cookie recipe, lovingly handed down through the years. Or it can be Pillsbury in a tube. Confession: I used Pillsbury. While I've perfected my chocolate chip cookie recipe, I was making several other dishes for our Labor Day barbecue. I didn't want to add "make cookies" to the list. So use whatever cookie dough you want and feel free to not feel guilty either way. No judgement here!

Once you've acquired your cookie dough and tossed the guilt out the window, bake your cookies. I baked mine just slightly on the crispy side. Put your cookies on a cooling rack, and refrigerate. You don't have to refrigerate but if you're like me, you're in a hurry to eat ice cream and you can speed the process up that way!
Moving on to the ice cream. Mix your milk and sugar in a medium bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add your vanilla and cream and mix well. Pour into the ice cream maker of your choice. Have we talked ice cream makers? This is mine and I swear by it. As does America's Test Kitchen but certainly my opinion counts more here right?
It's my blog, I can make stuff up if I want to!

Anyway, love love love this ice cream maker. I actually got it for my husband for his birthday a few years back as a frozen yogurt maker. He makes his own yogurt... I should invite him to be a guest blogger one day, huh? I've used it about a million times more than him. Well, not a million. I really am trying to diet, I swear.

There's your mini ice cream maker review. :) Though I feel like I've posted it before. Where were we? Oh yes. Pour the cream mixture into the ice cream maker and let it work its magic. While you're waiting, crumble up those cookies and chop up half a cup of chocolate chips. They don't have to be super fine but I find I don't like the taste of normal sized chocolate chips in my ice cream. Now, if you buy mini chocolate chips you can skip this step and really be a super time saver. But I didn't so I got to chopping.

When the ice cream maker is about five minutes from being finished, pour in your chocolate chips and slowly add your crumbled cookies. If you have an ice cream maker that is smaller than 2 quarts you definitely won't get all the cookies in there and may want to halve this recipe. My ice cream maker just barely fit all the cookie goodness. I did consider putting hot fudge ripples in the ice cream but was feeling chicken ran out of time. Interestingly my fab sister in law, Savannah, made an ice cream nearly identical to this one the same day. She used vanilla ice cream, brownies, and a fudge ripple! Great minds think alike, huh? Check out her blog for her post on Brownie Ice Cream!

Let it mix for another few minutes and pour into a freezer safe storage bowl with a lid. I've bought one specifically 2 quarts to use as my ice cream bowl. Let it set up for a couple of hours and serve... welcome to ice cream heaven, my friend. And until you step on the scale the next day, we will be friends when you try this ice cream.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream
adapted from Cuisinart's Simple Vanilla Ice Cream
1-1/2 c. milk
1-1/8 c. sugar
3 c. heavy cream
1-1/2 T. vanilla extract
12 chocolate chip cookies
1/2 c. chocolate chips, roughly chopped

Crumble chocolate chip cookies, set aside. In medium bowl, mix milk and sugar together until sugar dissolves. Mix in heavy cream and vanilla extract. Pour into ice cream maker bowl, freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Five minutes before ice cream finishes, add chocolate chips and slowly pour in crumbled cookies. Allow mixer to mix thoroughly. Pour ice cream into freezer safe bowl with lid and freeze until firm. Serve and enjoy! 

Here's your recipe card! Click on the recipe card, right click to save, and print as a 4x6 recipe card. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails