Monday, October 4, 2010

Stroganoff Skillet

The first time I discovered this little gem of a recipe, it was Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m. It dawned on me:

There's nothing in the house for dinner.

So I scoured through cookbooks trying to find a recipe that would feed us all, and I had all ingredients on hand. I found this recipe in my Gooseberry Patch cookbook. There are two things I love about it. Okay, three. No, wait, four. (I should really think before I type, huh?)
1. It's easy and very, very quick.

2. It's food storage friendly. I had all ingredients on hand because they are ingredients I always have on hand. That's something I look for in a recipe; I don't want to have to google ingredients to figure out what the heck I need to buy. I (almost) always have ground beef in my freezer. The other ingredients are simple pantry items. I even have dehydrated onion that I've used in this recipe and yes, I was tempted to use my powdered sour cream too. 

3. You boil the egg noodles in the sauce. I can't tell you how many times I've started a spaghetti sauce cooking to realize at the end that I never cooked the noodles. Please tell me I'm not the only one?

4. I plain forgot what #4 is. I apologize for misleading you but I'm pretty sure there were four reasons... oh! I know! It's yummy! My kids love this dish, eat it up, and ask for seconds. Even my toddler. And that's impressive! I do make one simple change. I add about a tablespoon of lemon juice. It's a trick I learned from the fabulous Rachael Ray to brighten up stroganoff. A delicious dinner that's quick enough for a weeknight!

One last note--this serves 4 to 6, but that's really stretching it for my family. No room for seconds! Next time I make this I'll double it and have lunch the next day, too.

Stroganoff Skillet
from Gooseberry Patch's Country Quick & Easy cookbook

1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
1 c. beef broth
1/2 c. water
3 c. wide egg noodles
1 T. lemon juice

In a larger skillet, brown ground beef and onion over medium heat. Gradually blend in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Click on the recipe card to enlarge. Right click, save, and print as 4x6 recipe card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails